Friday 7 December 2007

The Circle of Life

Quite frequently, people stoip me and ask how old Caesar is, and often they'll go on to ask how long will he work for, who will have him when he retires and so on. Sometimes the more blunt ask: "Exactly how long do Golden Retrievers live for"?

Well, in spite of good healthcare, preventative medicine and a good diet, there is no exact science about how long a dog will live, or even work.

This is something that all assistance dog partnerships live and wrestle with. On the one hand so grateful for the new lease of life partnership with their dog has given them, while all the time knowing that anything can happen and that oneday, even the best partnerships will come to an end.

One day this week I was online early in the morning, and saw an online pal who lives in New York, some five hours behind me timewise was already online. Up late or up early, I enquired. Cyndy replied up all night, today was the day her new guide dog was due to arrive and she was so excited ... my mind immediately raced back to the day Caesar was new ... ooooh exciting! Almost two years since her last guide dog had retired, so it was a big day. Cyndy and I spent some time chatting and then parted company to get on with our days on either side of the pond.

Then the postman came, I was delighted to see a Christmas card with a tiny puppy, it was one of Millys', Caesars' niece who is a Brood Bitch for Guide Dogs. News inside said all 11 puppies, born in the summer are now in training to become guide or assistance dogs. Fantastic news. Great Uncle Caesar ... whatever next!


There are actually three and a half pups in this picture, the black ones almost blend in!

Just after lunch on the same day, I opened an email from a fellow Dogs for the Disabled partner. Devastating news, her beloved Golden had passed away ... they were such a perfectly matched couple it seemed so unfair.

And so there it was the circle of life in a day, certainly focussed my mind onto the joys and sadnesses of partnership with an assistance dog. The joy of partnership, the new found freedom and eventually the sadness at the parting.

In my mind, the most fitting tribute anyone can pay to their assistance dog is to cherish the good times and continue with the freedom gained rejoicing in what was gained, but it certainly isn't easy. My big Golden boy absorbed more than a few tears that day :o(

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Dog Day Anniversary, Wendy! :)

And yes, I was VERY excited. I'm still excited three days later! Also, tired...but mostly excited.