Wednesday 26 September 2007

Customer Service? Or a promise not to sue?

While in USA we had occasion to fly, with NorthWest Airlines from Chicago to Detroit, and quick hop, no biggie, or so we thought!

Having booked months ahead and having requested assistance to board we arrived at the gate early and I presented myself to the apropriate member of staff and requested pre-boarding (as is usual for anyone with an assistance dog or disability). I was asked if I had someone with me, which I was happy to confirm. We waited and were beckoned forward to pre-board. At the end of the jet bridge there was the aisle chair which I need to transfer, but no member of staff. My companion boarded with Caesar and I sat and waited ... and waited ... and waited. I was in tears.

Unbeknown to me, the staff on the plane were asking Karen was I actually travelling or not! Eventually, the other passengers arrived and I was still sat there after they'd all boarded.

My heart sank, even the cabin crew and captain couldn't explain what was going on. Eventually, 10 minutes before take off the special assistance arrived. I was boarded, but in a rather humiliating way, being lifted in front of all the other passengers!

During the flight, I enquired of a member of the cabin crew if there would be assistance at the other end to disembark; "Oh they knoooow" he said in a rather loud and patronising way, so much so that several other passengers turned to look who he was talking to.

Thankfully, assistance was available upon our arrival in Detroit, and after we had cleared baggage reclaim, I decided to let Customer Services know of my disatisfaction. Almost immediately after the arrival of the CRO (Conflict Resolution Officer) I was offered a $200 voucher for furture travel, on condition that I sign a waiver stating this was my only claim against the company in repect of that flight.

An interesting state of affairs, I was so shocked (having never been offered such a deal with nmore appalling treatment in the UK) that I accepted, I still can't decide if it was excellent customer service or a pay off not to sue for the distress that had been caused!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

In my opinion this was a combination of the two, good customer service in an attempt to make up for the lack of it by other team members, and an attempt to satisfy you with an out of court solution!

Wendy & Caesar said...

I rather like the idea of Customer Service being about fixing the problem on the spot ... so many times in the UK it is impossible to talk to anyone with the authority to apologise or made reparations. Quite often the most you get is an address to write to!