Sunday 10 February 2008

Food for thought.

It's been an interestng and thought provoking week ... I was told to expect my (rebuilt) wheelchair to be returned on Friday, needless to say, it's not back yet! Just as well I wasn't holding my breath! Ironically, on Friday I had a conversation with someone who told me about another mobility product being the subject of legal action because it was not deemed fit for the purpose ...

I had to travel to London for a meeting and duly booked the wheelchair space in the train well ahead of time ... only to find my pre-booked space was occupied, by a mother with a pram ... thankfully, there was another wheelchair space unoccupied, so I removed my reserved slip from the original space and moved to the vacant space. Fair enough, parents with prams need somewhere to sit, but what if the other wheelchair space had not been vacant, where would that have left me? This is a tricky one, the railway company advise people using wheelchairs to book ahead of time to reserve the space, yet someone with a pram can board the train with no notice and occupy it anyway ... perhaps if there was more room on the train for prams elsewhere we wouldn't see them occupying the disabled persons seats.

No comments: