Friday 20 July 2007

What does it look like?

Here in the U.K. there is a thing called the National Key Scheme . Accessible toilets for people with disabilities are often locked with an NKS key (otherwise known as a R.A.D.A.R. key). Havng recently, albeit temporarily mislaid my key I thought I could do with a spare.

I went to the Welcome Centre in my home town to buy a spare. What should have been really straightforward with me signing a declaration about being disabled turned into a really hilarious conversation when the young guy behind the counter asked me "are you disabled?"
So, there I am sitting in my wheelchair, accompanied by Caesar, my assistance dog and the guy wants proof! "I can assure you I am not a fake" I offered, he reddened a bit, qualified his statement and then several other people joined in, "How disabled do you have to be to go to the toilet?" one asked!

The guy was getting more embarrassed by the moment, I was laughing so much I could hardly write my name on the form!

No comments: